Mittwoch, 25. Januar 2012

Kapitel 1 Kultur

    I found the article to be interesting. What I found really interesting is how the German immigrants created Vereine to make the newer immigrants to feel welcome. If i was an immigrant in a new land, I would love community organizations who had a lot of similarities with myself; someone who speaks my language and knows about my home cultural. Also, the Germans did try to create a "New Germany". They assimilated very well into the new culture while keeping many of their own, like their religious devotion.
    One thing I found weird was the creepy obsession some German groups (still in Germany) had with the Native Americans. How could a extremely popular author of Native American books know what he was writing about if he never went to America until after he finished his books. I guess it's not that weird, because I know a lot of people interested in Ancient Greece and Egypt, even though they have to connection to it.
   Other interesting thing was how many different religious the German immigrants followed. When I was talking to my friend from Austria, he and all his friends were Catholic, but didn't attend church. The immigrants created many churches in their different religions, and they kept German services for a long time. If memory is correct, the Catholic mass was in Latin until the 1960's, so they were probably still in Latin, but many other services and Sunday school classes were in German.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.