Dienstag, 31. Januar 2012

Schneewittchen-- AMD 2

For AMD 2, I had the thought of reading through a little bit of one of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. I chose a classic, Snow White. What could go wrong? Well, not getting the story is a start. After searching high and low on google, I found that it was nearly impossible to find the tale for free in German. I decided to go the the German wiki page and look up the main points of the story. Having known the story previously, it was fairly simple to see where the story was headed. For example, die böse Stiefmutter sagt "Spieglein, Spieglein an der Wand, wer ist die schönste im Land?". Now, that's not an exact translation to the rhyme we're all accustomed to. It's a rough translation though. A couple differences with German fairy tales to conclude my post. From my research, I learned that firstly, German fairy tales often try to intimidate the readers, die Kinder, into doing what either a.) their parents want, or b.) what is socially acceptable to do. Another difference is the fluffy stereotypical fairy tale ending. This rarely happens in German. Most end in the perpetrator meeting their demise. Very rarely are the antagonists coerced into a happy ending, like in American fairy tales.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.